|Last updated: May 03, 2010|
DERWIN H. BELL
"I make electronic sensors and systems work together". Seasoned computer engineering professional with experience in software development and hardware installation for real-time data collection systems. Well versed in radio frequency identification (RFID) systems as applied to supply chain management and electronic toll collection systems. Have experience in requirements management and quality assurance testing.
HONORS and AWARDS
• U. S. Patent No. 4,788,697 awarded November 1988 for Remote Time Base Synchronization Method.
• Awarded 1995 MFS High Flyer Award and 1995 1Q MFS Teamwork Award for innovative design under difficult conditions on State Road-91 Express Lanes (SR91) in Orange County, CA -- the first totally automated electronic toll collection system in the U.S. and the Foshan China AVI Upgrade project -- Delivered on-time and under budget
• Graduate Engineering for Minorities (GEM) Fellowship Sponsored Internship.
Software: MS Office, WordPerfect, Bartender Barcode label maker, RS Logix 500 Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Tools
Computer Languages: Assembly, C, FORTRAN, BASIC, PASCAL, LISP, HTML, SQL.
Computer Systems: MS Windows, VAX/VMS, Sun OS (LINUX/UNIX) workstations.
Test Equipment: Tektronix DSA602 Digital Storage Oscilloscope, PRISM 3000 Logic State Analyzer, BK2635 & HM5014 RF Spectrum Analyzers.
CAD Tools: MSVisio
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Systems:
UHF: SIRIT (TIRIS, SAMsys), Kapsch (MARK IV), Motorola (f.k.a. Symbol f.k.a. Matrics), Alien Technology, Intermec, Transcore (Amtech),
HF: Omron, Tagsys.
RFID Label Applicators: Kennedy Group 2500, Weber 5200, Markem Cimjet.
Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS): Lynuxworks LynxOS, JMI CExecutive
Barcode Scanners: Microscan, Accusort,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, M.S.C.&S.E., Computer & Systems Engineering, GEM Fellow
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, B.S.E.E., Electronics Engineering
TIRIS Automatic Vehicle Identification System Advanced Technical Installer Certification, TI, Dallas, TX
Facilities Management Training, FBOP Management and Specialties Training Center, Aurora, CO
Entrepreneurial Management Training Course, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ
MIL-STD-1686 ESD Sensitive Device Handling Certification Seminar, GE Aerospace, Moorestown, NJ
View Larger Map
|SR91 express lanes toll gantry|
QA LANE TEST MANAGER , InTrans Group, Inc. , Port Washington, NY, 2008 - 2009
• Designed, organized, and performed system acceptance tests in lab and at customer sites.
• Debugged subsystem problems to develop work orders for maintenance staff.
• Interfaced with vendors to debug subsystem specific problems and ensure compliance with requirements.
• Wrote SQL queries to determine electronic toll collection (ETC) system revenue and maintenance performance.
RFID SPECIALIST , Acsis, Inc. , Marlton, NJ, 2003 - 2008
• Configured and installed RFID and other automatic data capture equipment for supply chain management systems.
• Traveled to customer sites to perform preinstallation site surveys and postinstallation system tuning and acceptance tests.
• Assisted Sales and System personnel with requirements analysis and system design.
• Configured serial servers, digital I/O servers, and other TCP/IP network devices to communicate with middleware servers.
• Performed customer product testing to determine RFID readability in an industrial or laboratory environment.
• Trained help desk personnel on the operation and problem analysis of a variety of hardware devices.
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, MCI WorldCom ETC (formerly Adesta Transportation / MFS TransTech), Mount Laurel, NJ, 1994 - 2003
• Performed requirements analysis and system design of Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) systems or subsystems.
• Designed, coded, and tested software in C under CExecutive Real-Time operating system kernel or LynxOS Real-Time Operating system (RTOS).
• Designed, assembled, and tested module level hardware for an embedded computer based, vehicle traffic lane controller subsystem for in-lane sensors in various ETC systems.
• Wrote serial interface software modules to interface with TDC automatic coin machines, MARK IV and TIRIS automatic vehicle identification (AVI) systems, magnetic card readers, STI light curtains, and ProMux OPTO-22 controllers.
• Wrote Software Detailed Design Documents for Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA) and SR91 LC's.
• Traveled to Remote Sites to Install Systems and to Perform System Acceptance/R&D Field Tests of ETC systems.
• Provided help desk technical support to NJ Consortium, RMA, and SR91 maintenance crews.
• Debugged and corrected firmware in C to process vehicle classification treadle strip I/O for grayhill promux I/O controller on ATCAS project.
• Used PVCS for software revision control.
• Designed/Tested/Released/Installed Lane Controller software for the following projects:
• State Road-91 Express Lanes (SR91) in Orange County, CA -- the first totally automated electronic toll collection system in the U.S.,
• Foshan City Toll System Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI) Upgrade , Guangdong province, Peoples Republic of China - cooperative effort with Chinese Technology vendor - Foshan Tong Da and American engineering firm - E.Z. Tech International
• AVI upgrade for Manual and ACM ETC system, Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA)Powhite Expressway , Richmond, Virginia. - reverse engineered TDC coin machine interface, implemented reversable traffic flow barrier toll lanes
• TIRIS AVI interface software for express lane, E-470 ETC , Denver, Colorado
• Guangzhou AVI express lane ETC Demo, Guangzhou, Guangdong, Peoples Republic of China
• I-15 Express Lanes Interim solution, San Diego, California - Designed and built in three weeks and implemented in three months from proposal acceptance to Go-Live by reusing technology from previous projects
• Melbourne AVI System Demo, Dallas, Texas
• Mark IV interface, Atlantic City Expressway, AC, NJ - same code as eventually used on NJ Parkway, NJ Turnpike Consortium project
• TIRIS AVI upgrade system demo, Shanghai, Peoples Republic of China
• TIRIS AVI express lane system demo, Guangzhou, Peoples Republic of China - One of ten international vendors invited to compete
• TCA TIRIS AVI demo, Orange County, California
ELECTRONICS ENGINEER, Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP) Northeast Region, Philadelphia, PA, 1993
• Wrote/Reviewed Contract Specifications for Various Electronic Systems.
• Interviewed Architecture and Engineering Vendors to fill contracts.
• Traveled to Institutions to Inspect Electronic Systems and Troubleshoot Problems.
INDEPENDENT COMPUTER CONSULTANT, Philadelphia, PA, 1992 - 1993
• Programmed in Data Query Language; Trained Personnel in WordPerfect and DataEase.
• Specified, Assembled, Upgraded, and Tested Hardware and Software for IBM Compatible Microcomputers.
MEMBER OF ENGINEERING STAFF, GE Aerospace/RCA, Moorestown, NJ, 1984 - 1992
• Designed/Tested/Released Digital Electronic Modules.
• Specified/Tested Components for a one Kilometer, 10 Mbaud, Multimode Fiber Optic Data Link.
• Wrote Test/Simulation Software for Modules and Production Test Vectors in LASAR for L297 Module Tester.
• Captured Schematics on MENTOR Graphics CAD system; simulated logic function in QUICKSIM.
SPECIAL MEMBER OF RESEARCH STAFF, Western Electric ERC, Princeton, NJ, Summer 1983 and Summer 1982
• Conceived/Designed/Tested/Released an Embedded Computer Controlled, A-to-D Converting, Remote Test Device. Resulted in U. S. Patent No. 4,788,697
|My Favorite Links:||
Derwin Bell's LinkedIn
Investors Business Daily
Ka Ching Portfolio Manager Watchlist
E*Trade training webinars
Verisign EPC Network Services
Toll Roads News
Idris Smartloops Usage
Idris Smartloops SIG
RFID Journal NEWS
How Stuff Works
RFID Talk Forum
RF Free Space Path Loss Calculator
RFID: Education is More Than Explaining the Technology